Recently I came across the news that Kerala’s Alappuzha Municipality is giving 5,000 menstrual cups to women free of cost. This project was started to curb the growing problem of menstrual waste. Such a great move!!!!
Now, what is exactly menstrual waste? During last year’s Kerala floods, a large amount of plastic waste was found comprising of sanitary pads. These pads are non- biodegradable and hazardous to environment as the top layer of the pads consist of a lot of plastic covering the product. It is not really possible to dispose it in an eco-friendly way or re-cycle them. Thus, it is termed as Menstrual waste.
This project will not only help in curbing the problem of menstrual waste but also it was much needed to educate the women about Menstrual Cups. Majority of the women have not been using it as they have not been educated enough about it. Since ages we have been using the sanitary pads which is harming our Earth. Its time we move on to a better option for the Environment as well as for our self.
Why one should move over from Sanitary pads to Menstrual cups? This is why:
- Cost Effective: Menstrual Cups are much cheaper than sanitary pads. It will cost around Rs. 300-350 but that one cup can be sterilized and re-used for 7-8 years.
- Safe for Environment: It will be safe for environment as a lot of plastic will be used less. Also, it is re-usable so need to dispose off.
- Rash free skin: We all have been through the skin rash due to sanitary pads. Say bye bye to skin rash with menstrual cups and say hello to rash free skin.
- No odour or leakage: If inserted correctly, no need to worry about leakage and odour while using the menstrual cups. You can even swim, during your periods. Isn’t that great?
- Easy to use: There are end number of videos and articles explaining how to use the Menstrual cups. Some find it difficult but it is the easiest and will have the most comfortable periods ever.
All these reasons are enough to switch over to Menstrual cups. Trust me, it will be life saving. All we need is to spread the word as much as possible.